Pages

Monday, July 4, 2011

DELHI BELLY

Where was Tania Zaetta?
Review by: Jade

Yesterday I went to see the latest Bollywood film to hit Australian cinemas - Delhi Belly

As a lover of all things sparkly and glittering I was voted by the team to review this one. Plus I was once an extra in a Bollywood film, so I'm obviously an expert when it comes to Indian cinema (I couldn't understand a word of the script, had no idea what was going on and spent all day pacing up and down the train station which is pretty much my worst nightmare - exercise combined with public transport - ugh). 

So I have to admit, I went along to the cinema, expecting to see:

1. Tania Zaetta 
2. Lots of Indians 
3. A romantic musical 
4. Sequins, beads and bangles 
5. Subtitles 

From this list, I managed to get one right. There were lots of Indians there (in fact, I counted only 2 whiteys in the entire cinema). But I guessed wrong on all other counts.

Delhi Belly is an Indian comedy shot in English. It's a crazy comedy of errors which of course leads to a wild goose chase. Flatmates Tashi, Arun & Nitin find themselves in a Hangover style situation. But instead of drugs, it's diamonds. And instead of Bradley Cooper, it's Imran Khan.

No not the cricketer. 

Yes the actor. 

From the opening scene I knew this wasn't any traditional Bollywood film. I kept waiting for Will Ferrell to appear!

It does feel like an Indian film aimed at Western audiences. Or maybe it's aimed at Western / Indians. 

Random / Semi Related Fact: Imran Kahn who plays Tashi was actually born in the USA. His Dad is a consultant at professional networking site LinkedIn in Silicon Valley! Thanks imdb trivia!

The film was filled with fart and shit jokes - mainly because Nitin falls prey to a nasty piece of tandoori chicken. But the audience was LOVING it. No really. They were LOVING it. I have never been in a cinema where the audience was laughing so hysterically. It was outrageous.

But it wasn't just the farting and the shitting that had them in stitches. They rolled around laughing like mental people the entire film! It was awesome!

There's even a great Josie & The Pussycats moment with an Indian popstar who is like a cross between Ke$ha and the Scissor Sisters. Her hit single is I Hate You (LIke I Love You)

I thought this film was loads of fun - despite the severe lack of sequins. I loved that it completely blew all my expectations away. It's not Slumdog Millionaire or Bend it Like Beckham. It's irreverent, funny and probably India's answer to the Harold & Kumar titles. 

I left the cinema with one burning question though... is Tania Zaetta in jail or something? 

STARS: 3.5 stars
SUMMARY: The Hangover Indian Styles 
WHO SHOULD SEE IT: Indians. Lovers of fart jokes. People wanting to experience something new and different
RELEASE DATE: Out now at selected Hoyts cinemas 

DISCLAIMER:
According to Wikipedia the definition of Bollywood is the informal term popularly used for the Hindi-language film industry based in MumbaiThe term is often incorrectly used to refer to the whole of Indian cinema

BA BAUUM. This isn't even a Bollywood film. Go on, just call me a racist. I know you want to.

JUST IN! BREAKING NEWS! After further research I managed to consult a professional from the Indian Film Industry. Tania Zaetta is not a Bollywood star or an Indian film star. She's just a d-grade celebrity from Australia who wears a sari and has a good publicist. The Indian film industry resent the association and request we stop pretending she's huge in their country. 

1 comments:

Dinesh Kukreti said...

tania zetta was there as a singer where hero interviews her and she gave a picture to him autographed and that two minute scene was only scene of tania zetta

Post a Comment